Skincare, it is a bit of a head scratcher isn’t it? There are so many lotions and potions, it is a bit of a conundrum knowing where to start. So, with this in mind, I thought a chat about all things skincare would be a helping hand for those who are in a bit of a skincare rut. With past experiences and a follow up of my skincare routines and favourites coming up, let’s begin…
Back in the day, I was one of those lucky teenagers who had clear skin even though face wipes were my everything, I did no exercise, ate one too many bags of crisps and didn’t drink near enough water. But about two or so years ago when I hit 19, my skin and I weren’t getting along so well (yes chin, I am talking to you) even though my habits I just mentioned were a distant memory.
So, I read and watched many different blogs and videos to help clear my problem, but because I was so inconsistent with my routine trying to sort out these dreaded spots, I only made the problem worse! After many tried and tested things I have a routine that I am happy with and have learnt many lessons on the way:
1) Step away from the pimple!! Believe me, I know that it is so tempting and in your mind it will make it better, but I am going to be honest with you, it doesn’t. I used to be such a picker and it only made things bigger, more sore and made them last weeks rather than days. Learn from my mistakes, leave.
2) Do not feel as though you need to try all of these fancy acids because I did and broke the bank on the way, only to discover that they were too harsh for me, you can’t force these things. If you do get along with them, great! But if not, do not keep on with it.
3) Just because you paid alot for a product, do not feel as though you have to finish it when your skin doesn’t like it. Start from the basics and work your way up, you will get to know your skin and find something that works for you.
4) We all get spots, accept it. It’s not the end of the world so let them run their course. You think a spot looks worse than it is because you have been too busy examining your face in the microscopic mirror (those things are plain evil) but, in all honesty no one else will even know it is there.
5) I don’t care if you are tired, take your makeup off properly before bed, no face wipes allowed!
Even though I am writing this with a few pesky spots on my chin, my skin and I get along better now because I took time to know it and know what it needs instead of using products for the sake of it. We are by no means best friends, but we get along.
Stay tuned for routines and some tried and true favourite skincare products, you aren’t going to want to miss it.